Sunday, September 20, 2009

Having a Baby and Going to Heaven

Last night we had our first YAMS (Young Adults Married & Single) Bible study of the year. We take a break during summer, just because everyone is so busy.
Last year we started studying the book of Romans. This week we were in Romans chapter 8. There is alot in that chapter! But one thing stuck out for me.

I'm a midwife at heart. I'm trained to be one, but I have never actually helped my own client before. I am a doula and have helped alot of women that way. And I've given birth to 5 kids myself- with no pain meds. 4 were at home, Naomi was born in the hospital because of marginal placenta previa. Labor was hardest with Naomi. Pushing was hardest with Titus- he came out forehead first. It down right HURT to push. It was horrible. But with all of them I am happy with their births. I really believe that the mom not having any medications gives the baby a better start in this world. I can understand why women want something to help, because it's difficult, it hurts, it's exhausting.

Anyway, back to Romans 8.
Romans 8:22-25
For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now.
Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body.
For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?
But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.


It goes on, but the thing that stuck out to me is how they compared it to childbirth. Childbirth is difficult. It's not pleasant. It's the most difficult and trying thing I have ever gone through- emotional, physically and spiritually challenging. I could not have made it without God. I could not have made it without the hope of seeing a baby.
That's what life is like too. It's difficult, unpleasant and trying. It's taxing- physically, emotionally and spiritually. I can't get through this without God and I think it would be horrible to not have the hope of heaven at the end. So many times in my life I have groaned with agony and thought "I wish Christ would return now, so I wouldn't have to go through this anymore."

I have hope to be with Christ one day. Not hope like "I hope I get there"- but hope like when I have a baby. I know I'm pregnant. I know when I'm in labor and I know that a baby will come of it. It's the hope of seeing a baby- no, I have never actually laid eyes on my child, but I know it's there and I know it's coming.
I know Christ is coming and I know I belong to him. I also know that I'm going to be with Him in heaven- it's my hope.

Just like seeing my baby is my hope in labor. Seeing Christ is my hope in life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails